Tuesday, January 25, 2011

To Catch a Setting Sun: Rough Draft of an Original Poem

I've been taking a lot of pictures lately--and hoping some of them might inspire me to write poetry. Here's a photo I took a few days ago from my bedroom window at sunset.

And here's the rough draft of a poem I just wrote for the picture. I haven't used any punctuation. I just used line breaks.

Trees stretch their bony fingers
weave them into a dark net
try to catch
the setting sun
before it slips away
before it steals the light of day


1 comment:

Doraine said...

Love the photo. And the words you put with it. I think bare trees are beautiful. Have you seen some of the Japanese flower arrangements that use bare limbs? There is such simple beauty in the skeleton, just the bones, just the limbs. Nice job capturing it.