Friday, July 19, 2019

MOON Poems & A Rocket Poem



This weekend my husband and I will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing--and our 50th wedding anniversary! So...today, I thought I'd share some of my original moon poems and one rocket poem.
THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE THE MOON
Live in the sky.
Be bold…
OR
be shy.
Wax and wane
in your starry terrain.
Be a circle of light,
just a sliver of white,
or hide in the shadows
and vanish from sight.
Look like a pearl
when you’re brim-full
and bright.
Hang in the darkness.
Dazzle the night.

Mirror
Of the sun, bright
Orb in the evening sky, Earth's
Nightlight

Now that the sun has left the sky.
It’s time for ME to shine on high…
To spread my gentle pearly light
For all the creatures of the night.

Sometimes Moon is round and bright.
Sometimes it’s just a wisp of white.
Sometimes it vanishes from sight.
Moon is an ever-changing light.
 
Night sang Sun a lullaby,
sprinkled stars across the sky, 
switched on Moon
and let it shine
into this little room of mine.

Roaring
Off the launchpad in a
Cloud of smoke,
Kicking off its invisible tether to
Earth, it blasts into space, blazing a
Trail, searing the sky with its fiery tail.

***************
 
The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Carol's Corner this week.

 

 

13 comments:

Kimberly Hutmacher said...

Love your timely moon poems, Elaine. Happy Anniversary! My hubby and I are celebrating 24 years this weekend.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Happy Anniversary to you, too, Kimberly!

Carol said...

Happy, happy, happy anniversary! Fifty years is a lot to celebrate! And thanks for gracing us with such a wealth of moon (and rocket) poems!

Molly Hogan said...

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband, Elaine! My husband and I just celebrated our 30th--I feel like newlyweds next to you guys! Your moon poems are wonderful. I especially like your "Things to do" poem. You always nail those and I delight in sharing your book with my classroom every year. It's a never fail crowd pleaser!

KatApel - katswhiskers.wordpress.com said...

Fabulous poems, Elaine! I especially love the first. Happy Anniversary.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks everyone! Having a moon and marriage party today and the weather is beastly! Don't know if we'll make it through the day in these temps and humidity! I guess it's a good thing we've got a pool.

Linda B said...

I love ALL moon poems and yours are grand, Elaine. Today celebrate that it does "Dazzle the night." and wishing you a Happy, and dazzling, anniversary!

Carmela Martino said...

Love all these poems, Elaine, and the idea of the moon as "Earth's Nightlight." :-)
Hope you can find a way to keep cool as you celebrate this weekend. Happy Anniversary. Fifty years. Wow!

Tabatha said...

Wonderful poems, Elaine!! ☾ Thanks for sharing them. Congratulations on your golden anniversary -- a beautiful, inspiring milestone!

Kay said...

Happy anniversary! I enjoyed each of these wonderful moon poems.

Margaret Simon said...

Your poems are delightful. Happy Anniversary! 50 years is amazing! Congratulations!

Cheriee Weichel said...

Congratulations Elaine to you and your partner!
I enjoyed your moon poems.
Last week my two year old granddaughter and I went out to watch the moon. It was partly cloudy so the moon kept hiding on us. She was so excited she started stuttering, exclaiming, "The moon is hiding Gramma Cheriee!" Then we had to go and get Grampa Randy to look too. Between the moon and babies, it can't get any better.

Catherine Flynn said...

Happy Anniversary, Elaine! I love all your poems praising our dazzling nightlight!