Friday, February 9, 2018

THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE BOOTS: A List Poem


 

New Writer Honor
Elaine Magliaro
THINGS TO DO
"A poetic take on the world and the important things in it, from the sun and moon to a pink eraser, as experienced through a child's eyes and imagination."

 


I have been dying to share the news that I won a 2018 Ezra jack Keats New Writer Honor Award for my book THINGS TO DO. I never EVER thought I'd be the recipient of such a prestigious award for my first book.
Today, I'm sharing a poem from THINGS TO DO--one that was not included in the original manuscript that was sent to my editor Melissa Manlove at Chronicle Books.
Things to Do If You Are Boots
Splish in puddles.
Splash on the walk.
Make the fallen
raindrops talk.

 

***************
 
Sally Murphy has the Poetry Friday Roundup this week.

14 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations, Elaine. This is a well-deserved honor for a beautifully written and illustrated book!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks so much, Linda! I love Catia's illustration for THINGS TO DO. I was thrilled when I first saw them. It was like a dream come true.

jan godown annino said...

Things to do if you love this book & Elaine's TTD Boots Poem


Find this book
Share it with a friend
Congratulate Elaine!

Find your boots
Clomp around in them
Draw boots for your cat!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Jan! Imagine receiving a "new writer" award at the age of 71!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...


Yay for you!! So happy for you and your book, and for the kids who get to read it.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Brenda! I hope there are children who love to read it.

Kay said...

Congratulations! That is fantastic news.

Molly Hogan said...

Elaine, your book is one of my and my students' favorites! It's an inspiring mentor text and students delight in creating their own "Things to Do" poems. I love your talking raindrops--I wonder what they say? Congratulations!

Mary Lee said...

Many many congratulations! Your book is a favorite in my classroom, too!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Kay,
Thank you!

Molly and Mary,
I am SO happy to hear that your students like my book. You made my day!!!

Carol said...

Congratulations, Elaine! Definitely well-deserved for your delightful new book! My students love it too!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Carol! Happy to hear your students love my book. My elementary students wrote some wonderful "things to do" poems, too.

Sally Murphy said...

Congratulations Elaine. If this sample poem is anything to go by, the award is very well deserved. I love it.

Sarah Grace Tuttle said...

Congratulations! I love the playfulness of this poem, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for your book!