Friday, July 31, 2015

WHEN I GET ANGRY: An Original Poem



Many years ago, I wrote a mask poem about a grizzly bear—which I have posted at Wild Rose Reader on more than one occasion. Here it is:


GRIZZLY BEAR

I’m grizzly bear. I’m fierce and fat…

And dangerous. Remember that!

My teeth are sharp as sabers.

My curvy claws can cut like saws,

And when I prowl the woods I growl

And frighten all my neighbors.

I rule the land. This forest’s mine!

I ain’t NOBODY’S valentine!

Don’t think that you can be my friend…

My dinner?

Yum!

GULP!

The End


Earlier this year, I used Grizzly Bear as a springboard for writing a poem told in the voice of a child who is having a tantrum:  

WHEN I GET ANGRY


When I get angry, I’m a bear…

A grizzly bear

With coarse brown hair

And curvy claws that cut like saws…

And teeth that tear.

You best beware!

When I get angry,

I clench my paws

And snap my jaws.

I prowl and growl

Around my room

And fuss and fume

And stomp the floor

And slam my door…

Till

I’m not angry anymore.

***************

Here are two picture books on the subject of children dealing with their anger:



***************


 The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Keri Recommends this week.


6 comments:

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Nice to see you again, Elaine! I wish I had had these poems and books to help me learn how to be angry when I was little. Nice works!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Heidi! It feels good to be back blogging again.

Joyce Ray said...

Hi, Elaine! I love your poem and the fact that it gives permission to be angry. It really honors the physical expression of an emotion as a way to work through negativity without harming anyone. Effective verbs, too!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks, Joyce! We all have to learn how to deal with our anger. I tried to look at the experience of having temper tantrums through a child's eyes.

web lol said...

kul page

web lol said...

kul page