Friday, December 28, 2012

Things to Do If You Are a Book: An Original List Poem



 
My granddaughter Julia loves books. That makes her grandma smile! One of her new favorites to look through is a poetry collection that I gave her for Christmas—Christmas Presents: Holiday Poetry. Yesterday, she even sat in my lap as I read her some of the poems in the book.
 
 
Another one of her favorite books is Jamberry. Here are some pictures that I took of her reading it recently.
 
 
 
 I hope Julia will continue to love books. I’m happy that she doesn’t chew on them now.



 
 
Here’s a list poem that I wrote some time ago. I’m dedicating it to my granddaughter Julia today.

 
THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A BOOK

Be filled with words that tell a tale
of a little mouse and a giant whale
of a runty pig and his spider friend
who was true and loyal to the end
of a child who ate just bread and jam
of a funky guy, green eggs, and ham
of a spunky girl named Ramona Q.
of a Jabberwock that a young boy slew.
Be filled with words and tell a tale
that will let my imagination sail.
Be a mystery
or a fantasy
and sing with sounds of poetry.
Between your covers
let there be
a story that’s just right for me.

 
********************
 

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Carol’s Corner.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it, Elaine x great last line.

Julie said...

Is there anything better tHan a child in your lap and a book to read together??? Lovely poem, Elaine. Happy New Year!

Mary Lee said...

With a start like that, she's bound to be a life-long reader!

Happy Holidays, Elaine!

Linda B said...

Beautiful pics & I love your poem, especially for Julia this time, Elaine. It looks as if you had a wonderful Christmas!

Joyce Ray said...

Love this poem, Elaine! It's so fun recognizing the books you refer to, and I imagine kids would delight in this aspect of the poem, too. Julia definitely looks like she is "reading" Jamberry! Doesn't it make your heart glad when grandkids (or anyone's children)love to read?