Friday, July 8, 2011

The Poetry Friday Roundup Is at Wild Rose Reader Today!


Please leave the URL of your Poetry Friday post in the comments. I'll be rounding up the links throughout the day.

***************

Poetry Friday: Morning Edition

Award-winning poet Julie Larios has an original poem for us today at The Drift Record. She says it’s in the spirit of summer’s blowziness and her grandson’s current love affair with the sprinkler. It’s titled Undone by the Sun.

Right here at Wild Rose Reader, I have an original candy poem titled Fireball. It just might will sear your poetry taste buds.

Mary Lee has a post titled Seeing Instead of Just Looking about the “beauty in the ordinariness of life” at A Year of Reading.

Laura Salas says she’s got “some fantastic 15 Words or Less poems inspired by a barbed wire photo at her blog.

Diane Mayr has a passel of poetry posts for us this week. At Random Noodling, she looks at Archy & Mehitabel. Kids of the Homefront Army continues with "I Don't Even Know Him." Kurious Kitty celebrates Gene Kelly. Kurious K's Kwotes' P.F. quote is by Marilyn Hacker. At The Write Sisters you'll find a poem called "Things."

Robyn Hood Black is “remembering a beloved cat with Thomas Gray's humorous 18th-century ode to an over-reaching one...”

Heidi Mordhorst says she’s reflecting on poetry criticism this week and how what she likes helps you figure out what you like.

Katie is revisiting a favorite poem, W.H. Auden's "A Summer Night" in a quick little post on her blog Secrets & Sharing Soda today.

Jeannine Atkins wrote about a great book called Maid as Muse, which is about Emily Dickinson's relationship with servants in the house and yard.

Carol is sharing a poem from Sara Holbrook's book, WEIRD? ME TOO! LET'S BE FRIENDS! She thinks intermediate grade readers are going to love this book of "all things friendship!"

Tara has a post about C.K. Williams, a poet that she discovered through a gorgeous picture book.

Steve Withrow has a poem for us in blank verse that was inspired by a July 4th outing with his wife and daughter.

Over at Gathering Books, you’ll find a poem titled Singapore River.

Charles Ghigna—aka Father Goose—has a post titled What I Learned from Picture Books at his blog.

Karen Edmisten contributes to Poetry Friday with a poem by Beverly Rollwagen titled Essential.

Sara Lewis Holmes gives us a report from her week at Shakespeare Camp, and an original sestina, Play On, in her post What gives us Shape?


Poetry Friday: Afternoon Delights

The talented Amy Ludwig VanDerwater joins in celebrating Poetry Friday with her post First Assignment—Explosions.

The Stenhouse Blog brings us the poem Greguerías by Ramón Gómez de la Serna.

David Elzey, who says he is on the eve of taking off for nearly two weeks, shares an original poem about his current state of mind called Checklist.

Popular children’s poet Douglas Florian shares an Ocean-Of-Consciousness poem/song by DONOVAN over at the Florian Café.

Rasco from RIF writes about Father and Son this Poetry Friday.

Gregory Pincus shares an original poem titled No Poem Today. It’s a “writer’s block” poem.

Janet Squires writes about Amber Was Brave, Essie Was Smart at her blog.

Ruth gives us a poem by Naomi Shihab Nye titled Trying to Name What Doesn’t Change.


Poetry Friday: Evening Edition

Marjorie is in at Paper Tigers this week with a post about a surprising little book of haiku and its accompanying Activity Book from Katha Books.

Hannah serves up a silly riff on William Carlos Williams—in honor of the peaches that she’s says she’s currently devouring like they're going out of style.

Karissa Knox Sorrell joins the Poetry Friday crowd with a poem titled Oldest Map of the World by poet/memoirist Kelle Groom.

Libby Frankel shares a poem/prayer that she says was inspired by her 13-hour road trip to Pennsylvania with her toddler.

Melissa Wiley shares a few lines from Randall Jarrell's lovely book, The Bat-Poet, which she says she and her five-year-old have been enjoying all week.

At Learning to Go, Judy has a poem by Peter Kane Dufault titled Dear George Eliot.

28 comments:

laurasalas said...

Hi Elaine--Thanks for hosting!

I'm in with some fantastic 15 Words or Less poems inspired by a barbed wire photo:

http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/282944.html

There's some great stuff there this week. Hope people can stop by, enjoy, and add their own quick poems.

Diane Mayr said...

Hi Elaine! I love your fireball poem. I once had planned on an "Everything" type book on candy for kids. My proposal was turned down. It's too bad because it's such an interesting topic.

Here are my links for this week:

At Random Noodling I look at Archy & Mehitabel.

Kids of the Homefront Army continues with "I Don't Even Know Him."

Kurious Kitty celebrates Gene Kelly.

Kurious K's Kwotes' P.F. quote is by Marilyn Hacker.

At The Write Sisters we have a poem called "Things."

Robyn Hood Black said...

Thanks for hosting, Elaine! I'm remembering a beloved cat with Thomas Gray's humorous 18th-century ode to an over-reaching one...
http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=799296

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Good day, Elaine! I'm reflecting on poetry criticism this week and how what I like helps you figure out what you like.

Katie said...

I revisited a favorite poem, W.H. Auden's "A Summer Night" in a quick little post on my blog today: http://sharingsoda.blogspot.com/2011/07/poetry-friday-12-summer-night-by-wh.html

Thanks for hosting!

Jeannine Atkins said...

Hi, Elaine. Hope you're enjoying wild rose season. I wrote about a great book called Maid as Muse, which is about Emily Dickinson's relationship with servants in the house and yard. http://jeannineatkins.livejournal.com/164093.html

Carol said...

Good morning, Elaine! Thanks for hosting! Today I'm sharing a poem from Sara Holbrook's book, WEIRD? ME TOO! LET'S BE FRIENDS! Intermediate grade readers are going to love this book of "all things friendship!"

http://carolwscorner.blogspot.com/2011/07/poetry-friday.html

Tara said...

Thanks for hosting, Elaine! I have a passion for those fireballs, and your lines:
"I savor the flavor
of the setting sun."
makes me want to zip out and grab a bag immediately! I'm posting about C.K. Williams, a poet I discovered through a gorgeous picture book.

Steven Withrow said...

Thanks for hosting, Elaine. Today I have a poem in blank verse inspired by a July 4th outing with my wife and daughter:

http://cracklesofspeech.blogspot.com/2011/07/poem-farmers-fireworks-display.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting today's poetry friday. Here's our contribution:

http://gatheringbooks.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/poetry-friday-singapore-river/

Charles Ghigna said...

Thanks, Elaine!
Love your delicious "Fireball!"

"What I Learned from Picture Books"
The FATHER GOOSE Blog

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks for hosting, Elaine! I'm in this week with Beverly Rollwagen's "Essential." It's here.

Sara said...

Hi, Elaine! So glad you're hosting.

I'm in today with a report from my week at Shakespeare Camp, and an original sestina, Play On.

The post is titled What gives us Shape?

The Stenhouse Blog said...

On the Stenhouse Blog this week we have Greguerias by Ramon Gomez de la Serna, as part of the Stenhouse Staff picks. Enjoy!

david elzey said...

on the eve of taking off for nearly two weeks i have an original poem about my current state of mind called "checklist"

http://fomagrams.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/poetryfriday-checklist/

thanks for hosting, elaine.

Janet S. said...

Thanks for hosting.
My selection is "Amber was brave, Essie was smart: the story of Amber and Essie told here in poems and pictures" by Vera B. Williams.

Douglas Florian said...

Hi Elaine. Bravo for your fireball poem.
I've got an Ocean-Of-Consciousness poem/song by DONOVAN over at the Florian Cafe:
http://floriancafe.blogspot.com/
Thanx for hosting!

Carol H Rasco said...

Thank you for hosting us, Elaine! I have written about FATHER AND SON at http://bit.ly/rud0Sa.

Greg Pincus said...

Thanks for hosting, Elaine. I'm up with No Poem Today (it's a poem, by the way).

Charles Ghigna said...

Hi Elaine! I'm enjoying all the posts today!

I think there might be an error on the link posted for my poem "What I Learn from Picture Books."

The correct link is at
The FATHER GOOSE Blog

Thank you!

Ruth said...

Here is my post for today - I have a Naomi Shihab Nye poem.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Charles,

Sorry about that link. It's been fixed.

Marjorie said...

Hello, Elaine, thank you for hosting. I'm in this week with a surprising little book of haiku and its accompanying Activity Book from Katha, India - http://www.papertigers.org/wordpress/poetry-friday-a-haiku-adventure-from-katha-books/

Hannah said...

Hi Elaine ... oh, fireballs are my favorite candy ever. Too bad they're not easy to find!

Here's my rather silly riff on William Carlos Williams, this time in honor of the peaches I'm currently devouring like they're going out of style ... which I guess they are.

http://dillerhome.blogspot.com/2011/07/poetry-friday-peaches.html

KKSorrell said...

Like the fireball poem. I have a poem from poet/memoirist Kelle Groom.

http://theirischronicles.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/poetry-friday/

Libby Frankel said...

Thanks for hosting, Elaine.

Here is my link:
http://literacycoachyear.blogspot.com/2011/07/poetry-friday_08.html

My poem/prayer this week was inspired by my 13 hour road trip to Pennsylvania with my toddler.
;o)

Libby

Melissa Wiley said...

A latecomer! A few lines from Randall Jarrell's lovely book, The Bat-Poet, which my 5yo and I have been enjoying all week: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2011/07/08/poetry-friday-from-the-bat-poet/

Thanks for hosting!

Judy@Learningtoletgo said...

thanks for hosting! Here's my contribution for this week:
http://happycatholic.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/poetry-friday-dear-george-eliot/