Friday, July 11, 2008

New Mexico, Independence Day, and A Puppy


A Sculpture Outside a Museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico

Lately, I haven’t been posting much at Wild Rose Reader or reading other blogs the way I usually do. I haven’t even been writing much poetry. I had been on a roll for a couple of months--writing one entire collection and several poems for another. Now, I can’t seem to focus the way I did before my trip to New Mexico. It’s been challenging getting my head out of the clouds--probably the result of my hot air balloon ride over the Rio Grande a couple of weeks ago. It was a fabulous high altitude trip!!!

Then came the Fourth of July. I spent hours preparing food last week for the holiday, and spent three days with family and friends. It was the best Independence Day celebration in years. The heat wave hadn’t yet arrived. Add to the distraction quotient that my daughter’s boyfriend just got the cutest yellow lab puppy with the sweetest disposition. I couldn't resist playing with Jack!

So…for this Poetry Friday, in addition to a poem entitled Taos, written by New Mexican poet Cynthia Gray, I’ve got more photos of New Mexico, pictures taken at sunset on the Fourth of July from a boat that was moored in Marblehead Harbor, and some puppy pictures!


Scenes from the Hyatt Regency Tamaya in the Santa Ana Pueblo
The Sandia Mountains (as seen from the Hyatt)

From Taos
By Cynthia Gray

From the house on the High Road
the Bridge is invisible
but I know it’s there

Spread out below I can see the
crevasse carved by the Rio Grande
over lifetimes, generations
centuries, eons

And the option draws me back

time and again

You can read the rest of the poem here.


Pictures of the Rio Grande and Other Sights from Our Hot Air Balloon


***************
Sunset at Marblehead Harbor
July 4, 2008

*******************

This is Jack!


This is the stick that Jack fetched!
This is the stick that Jack ate!
********************

At Blue Rose Girls, I have a poem by Mark Doty entitled A Green Crab’s Shell--and the schedule of poetry readings that will be held at Boston University next week as part of the Summer Poetry Institute for Educators.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Under the Covers.
********************

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Taos' is perfect for this post! I love your pictures, and think Jack is adorable.

Someday, I'm going to visit Santa Fe. Someday.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Writer2b,

My husband and I hope to return to New Mexico. We loved it there--but didn't have enough time to do too much sightseeing. Jack is a real sweetie!

Mary Lee said...

You've had a productive and fun few months. You've certainly earned the right to have lost some of your writing focus!

Your pictures of New Mexico took me right back. I love Sante Fe and Taos! It looks like I am going to have to put a hot air balloon ride over the Rio Grande on my bucket list!! Gorgeous!

And Jack -- what a CUTIE!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Mary Lee,

I'd recommend a hot air balloon ride almost anywhere. When my daughter was about seven, my husband and I took her on a hot air balloon ride near the coast in Massachusetts. It's so peaceful floating in the air high above the ground.

P.S. There's a big hot air balloon festival in Albuquerque every October.

jama said...

What a fantastic post, Elaine. Loved all the beautiful photos, and the perfect poem. You are inspiring me, my muse :).

Jack is adorable.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I'm glad that I've inspired you. I just wish I could inspire myself to start writing again!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

You are really inspired these days! Love the photos and the poem fits perfectly.

Vivian Mahoney said...

Great photos, Elaine! Glad you've been busy writing.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Cloudscome,

I WAS inspired. That's the past tense. I'm trying to get back into the groove again.


Vivian,

I haven't been busy writing this past week. I hope to catch some inspiration again...soon.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Oh my Jack is adorable.

Unknown said...

Santa Fe is home to numerous prominent museums. Most are situated downtown, however Museum Hill, located south of downtown also features some noteworthy locations, New Mexico Museum of Art,Institute of American Indian Arts Museum, George O'Keeffe Museum,The History Museum, Site Santa Fe.



-------------------
Angelinjones

New Mexico Drug Treatment