Friday, December 28, 2007

Winter Ballet: A Poem



I haven't been posting much in the past week. I got so busy with cooking and baking for the holidays, with celebrating and eating, with evaluating Cybils poetry books...that I decided to take a little break from blogging. I just had to post on Poetry Friday, though! So...I went looking for a winter poem in a collection of seasonal poetry entitled Tasting the Sun that I've worked on from time to time over the past couple of decades. Here's the poem I selected. It's about the first snow of the season.


WINTER BALLET
by Elaine Magliaro

It’s white snow,

Bright snow,

Soft-as-feathers light snow…

Tiny ballerinas there

Pirouetting through the air

With their sparkly crystal shoes

In their winter dance debuts.




The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Check It Out this week.



Happy New Year to you all!!!

10 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Beautiful! I wish it were snowing here today. I guess we'll just have to go out and play in the sunshine. Happy Friday!

Tricia said...

This is lovely, Elaine. I remember these first snows. I wouldn't mind just one this winter.

Happy New Year to you! I hope you get one of those manuscripts out this year. I'd love to own a book of your poetry.

Erin said...

Very lovely!

Happy New Year!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Cloudscome, Tricia, and Erin--

Thanks! Happy New Year to you all. I've got to go finish packing and evaluating Cybils poetry books before I head for New Hampshire tomorrow.

laurasalas said...

We've had snowflakes pirhouetting (sp?) for more than a month now. I always love watching it snow, and you captured a certain kind of snow perfectly!

Have fun up north, and Happy New Year to you, too! You've enhanced my poetry reading so much in 2007.

Anonymous said...

So perfect for me today, Elaine. I've just come from watching the Nutcracker Ballet, the first half of which ends with ballerina snowflakes swirling about in formation on stage.

Really nicely done.

tanita✿davis said...

This is definitely a dance! I can imagine this as the snowflakes swirl down.

Unfortunately, all that's falling today is slush, no snow yet!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Crystal shoes...love it.

Happy New Year!

Mary Lee said...

Lovely! Just wish we had some of those ballerinas here!

Happy New Year!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laura, Kelly, Tadmack, Vivian, and Mary Lee--

Thanks for commenting. I'm up in New Hampshire and don't have access to the Internet in the unit where we're staying...so I doubt I'll be posting for a few days.

Happy New Year to you all!