Friday, July 20, 2012

CRICKETS: An Original Acrostic




One of my favorite sounds is that of crickets chirping on summer nights. I haven’t had the opportunity to listen to them lately because it has been so hot around here lately that we’ve had to run the air conditioner in our bedroom.

Here’s an acrostic poem I wrote some years ago about crickets strumming on summer evenings:

Chirping in the dark, their song
Resonates
In the still air. A
Chorus of summer night strummers in concert with
Katydids
Entertaining warm evenings with
Their
Symphony of wings.



One of my favorite things to do is to feed my little granddaughter. She enjoys eating all kinds of food—including broccoli, snap peas, carrots, and bananas. In addition, I can usually snap my best pictures of her when she’s sitting in her high chair and can't make a fast getaway. Here are some recent pictures of Julia:

Julia enjoyed dropping food on the floor
when we took her out to eat
on Father's Day.
Yum...broccoli!
A two-fisted eater!
 She can now drink from a "sippy" cup.
 ********************



The Poetry Friday Roundup is at A Teaching Life.


5 comments:

Robyn Hood Black said...

Great acrostic, Elaine! You captured a perfect summertime evening. And that little Julia is way cuter than crickets....

Donna Smith said...

Julia looks to be close to my grandson's age and is a fan of the same foods! Great acrostic on crickets!

Linda said...

Your acrostic is the perfect summertime poem, and your granddaughter is adorable!

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

Wonderful acrostic...and Julia is just adorable- what a glorious smile!

Karin said...

I love your acrostic! I'm really taken by that idea of all the action in the stillness.