Friday, July 27, 2012

MOLE POEMS: Variations on a Theme


 
Every now and then, I like to write poems about a particular subject in a number of different ways. I have arranged the following three mole poems in the order in which I wrote them. The first poem is a “things to do” list poem; the second and third are mask poems.

THINGS TO DO IF YOU ARE A MOLE

Make your home
in the damp darkness
underground
unknowing of snow
and stars
and summer breezes.
Live among roots
and rocks
and sleeping cicadas.
Excavate tunnels
in the moist brown earth.
Listen for the soft music
of seeds sprouting,
worms wiggling,
rain pattering on your grassy roof.
Spend your days in a world
of unending night.


MOLE ANSWERS AN INTERVIEW QUESTION

I live in the earth.
I burrow through soil.
A claw-footed creature,
In darkness I toil.
I excavate tunnels.
I really DIG dirt!
I’m a fine engineer.
I do hate to be curt…
But I’m here on the job…
I can’t stop now to chat.
I’m a hole-digging mole.
I’ll just leave it at that!


MOLE

Psst! Psst! HEY! I’m right down here.
I’m a busy little engineer
Building tunnels underground.
You rarely hear ME make a sound.

My life is lonely…one of toil.
I claw my way through darkness soil.
The sun’s is not a face I know.
I live where seeds begin to grow.

Dear Mother Earth is my good friend
And through her big brown heart I wend
Digging tunnels right down here.
Listen! Listen! Cup an ear.

 ********************

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Life Is Better with Books.


2 comments:

Linda B said...

These are all so good, Elaine, rhymic & with the right amount of info. I love that "rain pattering on your grassy roof". Thanks for more of your content poems!

Mary Lee said...

I love the idea of Mother Earth's "big brown heart"!!!