Sunday, April 15, 2012

Two Original Poems: Things to Do If You Are Night & Things to Do If You Are Day


A few years ago, I wrote a poem titled Things to Do If You Are Night. This past week, I thought I’d attempt writing one titled Things to Do if You Are Day--which is composed of rhyming couplets. Here are both poems:

Things to Do If You Are Night
Be the shadow of day.
Put the sun to bed and light the moon.
Rouse sleeping rabbits and owls.
Paint the oceans black.
Sprinkle the sky with stars.
Slip softly away before dawn.


Things to Do If You Are Day

Arrive at dawn. Bid stars goodbye.
Switch on the sun and light the sky.
Send night creatures off to bed.
Make morning rise like a loaf of bread.
Wake drowsy bees in their honeyed hive.
Help the silent sleeping world revive.
Stay busy, bright till dark draws near
And it’s time for stars to reappear.
Head westward with the setting sun.
Then go to sleep. Your work is done.

********************

NOTE: I'll announce the winner of Cousins of Clouds later today.


Note to the winners of Janet Wong's book Declaration of Interdependence: I apologize for the delay in sending out the book to you. I live with my daughter half the week and provide daycare for my granddaughter. A number of other family responsibilities have also kept me so busy this past month that I haven't had an opportunity to get to the post office. I do plan to send the the book off to you by the end of this week. Thanks for your patience!

3 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

Elaine! I love these two poems individually... but even moreso together. Thanks for putting 'em up that way....

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Lovely poems, Elaine. I tried this form at the start of the month & wrote a poem entitled "Things To Do If You're a Boston Terrier Named Chester."

Linda B said...

Elaine, these poems are so beautiful. I like that they're together too, & can imagine reading them in the early morn at school, or for best wishes at the end.