Friday, March 18, 2011

Early Drafts of Two End-of Winter Poems


I write a lot of poetry. I've completed several poetry collections. Yet, I rarely submit my manuscripts to publishers. Why is that? I'm one of those writers who thinks she's never finished with a poem...who thinks she can always make a poem better. It's a good thing I don't have to support myself with my writing. Then again, maybe I'd send out more of my work if I needed money!

What I like about having a blog is being able to post rough drafts of poems...or poems that haven't been polished yet.

Here are two end-of-winter poems I began work on this week. The first one was inspired by a grimy patch of snow in my front yard.


In Our Yard

Winter left behind…
one patch of snow,
littered with leaves
and crusted with grime.
It’s only time
before it melts into the past.
It will not last.
Spring arrived here yesterday
and frightened old Jack Frost away.


Untitled
Winter’s fading fast.
Winter’s tuckered out.
It packed its bags. It’s leaving town.
It heard Spring’s boist’rous shout:
“Make way for me, old man…
And take your ice and snow.
Now it’s my turn to rule the land…
And time for you to go.”
**********
At Blue Rose Girls, I have an original list poem titled Things to Do If You Are the Ocean.
At Political Verses, you'll find Scott and Dot--a feminist nursery rhyme written by J.Patrick Lewis.
The Poetry Friday Roundup is over at A Wrung Sponge.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are poems ever truly finished? They can always be improved, and are so subjective, it's unreal ...

Elaine Magliaro said...

Valerie,

One thing I do find helpful sometimes is putting a poem away for a while and then coming back to it a week or a month--or even a year or more--later. Then I can look at it with fresh eyes.

A few years ago, I found some moldering old poems in folders I had long forgotten. It was like discovering something new. I reread the poems--and then rewrote some of them. It was a good writing exercise for me.

Serenity Now said...

I really enjoyed your Winter's End poetry pieces. I see personification in the second piece. Recently I've been working on poetry with my Fifth grade students. I plan on sharing yours to show how you used personification, word choice, and also punctuation. Beautiful. Maddy