Friday, October 17, 2008

Halloween Acrostics




I had really hoped to write a poem about "Joe the plumber" for today--but, alas, not all the “dirt” on this pseudo handyman has been unearthed yet. I must do more research before I can pen my Ode to Joe and His Plunger. So, instead, I wrote these two acrostic poems for Halloween.




Ghastly spirit
Hovering in dark corners of the
Old house it once inhabited…
Silent sentinel of the past
Torn between two worlds



Wicked, warty crone, dressed
In black, a peaked hat
Teetering on her head as she
Careens through the air on her broom cackling
Happy Halloween!


********************

At Blue Rose Girls, I have two poems for daughters--one by Naomi Shihab Nye and one by Minnesota poet James Lenfestey.

The Poetry Friday Roundup is at Becky’s Book Reviews.


********************

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these! I have fifth graders going wild about acrostics right now. See last week's PT offering.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jone,

Thanks! I'll check out that PT post at your blog. Last weekend was a really busy one for me so I didn't get much blog reading done.

You met Naomi Shihab Nye?!!! She is one of my favorite poets. In fact, I posted one of her poems at Blue Rose Girls today.

jama said...

I love both of these, Elaine, and am waiting with bated breath for Joe the Plunger :) . . .

Elaine Magliaro said...

Jama,

I actually began writing another in my series of Palinoems that began with a line about Joe the plumber. I just have to shake my head in disbelief sometimes when I listen to the news. Think about everything that's happening to our country! And the news hounds are all camped outside Joe's house and interviewing him? God help us!!!!!

Saints and Spinners said...

I'm looking forward to Joe the Plumber!

I like the GHOST acrostic in particular today-- the "silent sentinel of the past."

Elaine Magliaro said...

Alkelda,

Thanks for commenting. I just hope I'll have the inspiration to write a funny ode to "Joe."

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read your original poem about Joe, Elaine! Not so coincidentally, I had poems for plumbers on the brain for Poetry Friday today!

Mary Lee said...

I, too, loved the "silent sentinel." I am listening to THE THIRTEENTH TALE, an adult novel that is part mystery, part ghost story. I highly recommend it.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Becky,

I'm finding it difficult to keep up with my reading of kidlit blogs because I've become so addicted to reading political blogs in recent weeks. I wonder if Joe the plumber is also Joe Six-pack???


Mary Lee,

I can't recall ever reading/listening to an adult ghost story. Is it scary?