Monday, August 25, 2008

Back from Maine

My husband and I returned last Friday after spending a great vacation week on Westport Island in Maine. The weather was perfect, the scenery beautiful, and the home where we stayed was lovely. Two couples, who are close friends, joined us for part of the week. We have known these four people for about fifty years. (Boy, am I getting old!!!)

Here are some pictures from Maine:



We don’t eat out at restaurants often when we go to Maine--but this year we found two fine places to dine--the Squire Tarbox Inn on Westport Island and Ports of Italy in Boothbay Harbor. The chef at the Italian restaurant hails from Milan--and his food was divine!!!

I spent time shopping at Edgecomb Potters for a wedding gift for relatives, birthday presents for my nieces, and some things for my daughter. I always bring back at least one piece of the beautifully glazed porcelain for myself every year, too. The Edgecomb Potters website doesn’t do the pottery justice. Each piece is handmade and unique. That’s why it’s such fun browsing through their displays for presents. Edgecomb Potters also has lovely jewelry.

Here are pictures of some of the pottery I have brought back from Maine over the years.

My husband and I have spent many summer vacations on the coast of Maine. I love renting a cottage/house and just relaxing, cooking, reading, and writing. This year I didn’t do any blogging from there. We had intermittent wireless connection…and then a computer virus struck. That made our third major computer problem in thirteen months--on three different computers. We also started having problems with our Internet connection at home yesterday. I hope that will soon be resolved. I think we should hire a live-in computer tech!

As you may have noticed, this has been a slow blogging summer for me. I have spent weeks cleaning my basement and closets…and throwing away lots of old clothes and other "stuff" I don’t need any longer. After spending three years as president of our reading council, I am happy now just to serve as a member of the board of directors and as our Speaker Series chair. I’m also completely retired. I will no longer be teaching a children’s literature course at Boston University. Those are two reasons why I could dispose of so much paperwork.

As I wrote in an earlier post, I hope to focus most of my energy and attention on writing poetry for publication. I also hope to get back into the blogging groove again.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Welcome back, and how lovely to have friends you've known for 50 years!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Sara,

Thanks...and they are good friends indeed!

Anonymous said...

If I did not know it was Maine, I would say it was the Puget Sound. Great photos and what a lovely week.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fantastic summer, Elaine. And congratulations on doing some paperwork purging. That always refreshes me:>)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Beautiful potery and it sounds like you had a lovely summer. I'm glad to hear you are going to be writing poetry for publication.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Msmac, Laura, Cloudscome--

We were really fortunate. I scheduled our vacation to Maine for one of the only good weather weeks we've had this summer.

I love shopping for the pottery. Everyone who receives it as a present loves it.