Friday, May 11, 2018

Afternoon on a Hill: A Poem for My Mother


 
Sunday will be the second Mother's Day we celebrate without my mother. I picked out the following poem to honor her because the simplest things could bring joy into her life: a colorful sunset, the scent of lilacs in spring, a crisp autumn day, taking care of her youngest granddaughter. I think she would have liked Edna St. Vincent Millay's poem about spending an afternoon on a hill enjoying nature.

 
Afternoon on a Hill
By Edna St. Vincent Millay
 
I will be the gladdest thing 
    Under the sun! 
I will touch a hundred flowers 
    And not pick one. 
 
I will look at cliffs and clouds
    With quiet eyes, 
Watch the wind bow down the grass, 
    And the grass rise. 
 

 Click here to read the rest of the poem.
***************
 
My mother's last Mother's Day (2016)
 
***************
 

Jama has the Poetry Friday Roundup at Alphabet Soup.

 

10 comments:

jama said...

Thanks for sharing Edna St. Vincent Millay's poem (hadn't seen that one before). Simple and so lovely. Beautiful pics of your mom and granddaughter. This will be the 5th Mother's Day since my mother died. Hope you have a good weekend with your family, Elaine.

laurasalas said...

Elaine, this is beautiful. This will also be my second Mother's Day without my mom, and my first without seeing at least one of my girls. I'm going to send this poem to my dad, because it captures my mom. Thank you! And hugs to you...

Kay said...

This is a lovely poem by Millay. She's one of my favorite poets. Peace to you this Mother's Day. I hope you have a day filled with the pleasure of simple things and loving memories.

Michelle Kogan said...

Such a lovely poem by Millay, I like the quiet, inner focus in this one, she has such a wide range in her writing. Thanks for sharing it Elaine, and Happy Mother's Day!

Linda B said...

It is just right for a mother who loved those simple things, your mother, Elaine. I love seeing her with your granddaughter! Happy Mother's Day to you!

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

What a lovely poem to share for your mother. Lovely tribute and adorable photo. I got your package, and I'm saving it to open on Mother's Day, when I plan to read it with my kids. Thank you, thank you! You aren't far from me, you know. Perhaps we can meet for tea one day and talk about poetry.

Ruth said...

This is a favorite - I love the idea of enjoying beauty without needing to own it. Thanks for honoring your mother!

Margaret Simon said...

Thanks for this lovely poem. The unfortunate thing about holidays is they bring up for us who is missing. A delightful spark in your mother's eye in that picture tells me she has left a blank space in your life. Sending hugs to you.

mbhmaine said...

This is such a lovely poe-- So peaceful and serene, filled with quiet joy. Wishing you a day filled with sweet memories of your mother.

Mary Lee said...

May all your memories give you peace today.

Love the surprise of the flowers being touched, but not picked!