Friday, August 26, 2016

POETRY FRIDAY: End of Summer






Well, the hot days of summer...and endless hours of freedom are coming to a close for school-aged children. On the first day of school each year, I presented my students with little booklets of end-of-summer and back-to-school poems. For this Poetry Friday, I am posting some of the poems that I included in those booklets

Here is the first stanza of Eve Merriam’s poem  Leavetaking:

Vacation is over;
It's time to depart.
I must leave behind
(Although it breaks my heart)

Click here to read the rest of the poem.


Now
by Prince Redcloud

Close the barbecue.
Close the sun.
Close the home-run games we won.
Close the picnic.
Close the pool.
Close the summer.
Open school.


Here is the last stanza of Judith Viorst’s poem Summer’s End:

And all the shiny afternoons
So full of birds and big balloons
And ice cream melting in the sun are done.
I do not want them done
.

Click here to read the rest of the poem.


Here is the first stanza of Bobbi Katz’s poem September Is:

September is
when yellow pencils
in brand new eraser hats
bravely wait on perfect points–
ready to march across miles of lines
in empty notebooks–

Click here to read the rest of the poem.


From Aileen Fisher’s poem The First Day of School:

I wonder if my drawing,
will be as good as theirs.

I wonder if they'll like me,
or just be full of stares
.

Click here to read the rest of the poem.

**********

My granddaughter Julia is really enjoying her summer this year. She is learning how to swim...and loves jumping into the pool! 




**********


Heidi has the Poetry Friday Roundup at My Juicy Little Universe.


7 comments:

Brenda at FriendlyFairyTales said...

You're going to make me cry with all those laments. A dirge to end summer by, masquerading as light and cheery. I especially like the yellow pencils with their hats, but I long for them to do pointillism, to doodle, draw and dart toward daylight. To fly like swallows and jump like frogs. To feel every feeling, whether or not it belongs. I don't have to make sense. It's not school time yet. :-)

Linda B said...

I love that picture of Julia, Elaine, and those little pencil hats among all these wonderful poems. Some are excited, some lamenting, but you're right, time for school!

Alice Nine said...

What a great idea: "On the first day of school each year, I presented my students with little booklets of end-of-summer and back-to-school poems."

Ruth said...

What a wonderful gallery! I'm sad to see the summer end, too, but enjoying my new students and new opportunities.

Mary Lee said...

Great collection. Love that one by Prince Redcloud! (someone, PLEASE, close the sun!!)

Linda Mitchell said...

Fabulous collection for summer's end. I started school this week as a middle school librarian and it's been super busy. I'm taking some time before school today to visit with poetry before all the busy-ness begins. What a wonderful place to linger....in these words by various poets capturing the end of summer as best they can. Thank you!

Charles Waters said...

Love what you've put together here, Elaine!