Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner...and Win a Poetry Book!!!

On March 5, 2008, the PAS North Shore Council of Massachusetts will hold its winter dinner meeting at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, Massachusetts. Our guest speaker will be a gentleman who has been illustrating children’s picture books for more than four decades. He is the recipient of a Caldecott Medal and a Caldecott Honor Award. He has a son and a daughter who also illustrate children’s books. Can you guess who our guest speaker will be?

If you think you know the answer, email me the name of the illustrator. Send your email to: edotdrabik@yahoodotcom. If you are the first person to provide the name of our council’s featured speaker, I’ll send you a copy of Falling Down the Page, a book of poems edited by Georgia Heard that will be released in March by Roaring Brook Press. Note: My poem Things to Do If You Are a Pencil is included in the anthology.

For more information about this poetry book, check out page 13 of the Spring 2008 Catalog of Roaring Brook Press.

10 comments:

Tricia said...

I've won so many of your contests lately that I feel a bit guilty entering, so I won't. But let me just say, I KNOW who it is and am so jealous I can't be there. I would love to hear him talk. I'm particularly fond of the stories he tells about the teachers who encouraged his art at an early age. What a lucky boy he was.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

Are you sure you know the name of our featured speaker??? Are you positive you don't want to enter the contest?

Tricia said...

I bought William a thumbprint art book for his birthday. Does this ring any bells?

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

Are trying to sneak in some additional clues? You sly devil!!!

Tricia said...

By all means, delete it if you think it will lead others to the answer!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Tricia,

I'm hoping someone will provide the answer. I love giving away poetry books. It's one way to spread the word about my favorite literary genre!!!

laurasalas said...

Elaine, I can't wait to see this book! I loved it when you shared your poem from it.

And I emailed my guess:>)

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laura,

I can't wait to see the book!

I answered your email. Sorry...you'll have to guess again.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Laura,

I got your second email. This time you answered correctly. Congratulations!

Tricia said...

Hurray for Laura! I hope you'll do us the honor of writing about Emberley's talk after it's given. I so love reading about these events.

P.S. - I pre-ordered my copy of Falling Down the Page weeks ago. It is my hope that one day we meet in person so that you can sign it for me!